Plans were developed after the War for a new boathouse next door to Agecroft. Unfortunately these were shelved in 1949, since the development of the Wythenshawe grounds required all available funds in hard times. However on back of this disappointment, new plans were put in place for a move to the Bridgewater Canal.
The post War MUBC was still based at Agecroft’s boathouse. However in 1958 the club began to row in eights. The available river at Agecroft was quite short – the course ran from the Mill wall above Jubilee Bridge to 20 yards past the Agecroft boathouse – and so the need for a longer course resulted in a firm decision that MUBC would move to the Bridgewater Canal. Change was in the air, because the Women’s Club (“MUWBC”) was established in November 1960, ending nearly 100 years of all male rowing.
On 12 October 1963, the new boathouse on the Bridgewater Canal, off Dane Road, Sale, was opened. The boathouse was owned by UMIST, although at that time (and for many years after) there was no distinction made between Manchester University and UMIST rowers.